Transfer Student Resources

Transfer Students

Transfer students may want to view courses that may transfer from their previous higher education institution to Clarion University.

Visit to create your student account and obtain comprehensive transfer information about transferring to or from participating Pennsylvania colleges and universities.
Powered by

General Information
Apply as early as possible!

Be sure to submit the following:
Complete Undergraduate Admission Application and $30 application fee
Official high school transcript
Official transcripts from all institutions attended since high school

Clarion accepts all college-level credits from any recognized regionally accredited college or university where a student has earned a grade of "C" or better. Recognized regional accreditations include Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Northwest Association of Colleges and Schools, and Western Association of Schools and Colleges.

Transfer Admissions Policy
Generally, you are eligible to apply for admission if you have a 2.0 cumulative quality-point average (QPA) on a 4.0 scale from an accredited college or university.

If you plan to pursue a major in the College of Business Administration , you must have a cumulative 2.5 QPA from all colleges and universities where you have studied.  The College of Education and Human Services requires a 2.8 QPA from the most recent college or university for entrance into certification programs.

Students who are interested in a major in the College of Business and who have a QPA of at least a 2.0 but not a 2.5, may begin as Business Undecided in the College of Arts and Sciences.  When their QPA average at Clarion is at least a 2.5 for Business (after one semester or more), they may transfer internally into the College of Business Administration .

Students who are interested in a major in the College of Education and Human Services who have a QPA of at least a 2.0 but not a 2.8 may begin in the lower division courses but are required to have a 2.8 or higher to begin the certification courses.

Residency Requirement
Although an unlimited number of credits may transfer from a regionally accredited college or university, graduation from Clarion University with an associate's or bachelor's degree requires successful completion of all the specified major, degree and university requirements. In addition, students are required to complete at least 30 of the last 45 credits and at least 50% of the major credits at Clarion University.

Transfer Credit Evaluation
Clarion University transfers credits from regionally accredited schools where the student has earned a grade of "C" or better in their course work. Credits are transferable, but grades and grade-point averages are not.

Upon receipt of official college transcripts and acceptance into Clarion University , a degree audit will be processed for each student which applies transferable credits toward the student's program of study.  Results of this degree audit will then be mailed to the student. 

Clarion has no maximum number of transferable credits from accredited universities.  To be considered a transfer student, applicants should have completed at least 6 credits.

Clarion University 's "Residence Requirement" states that, for a student to earn a bachelor's degree at Clarion, a minimum of 30 of the last 45 credits and at least 50% of the major credits at Clarion University.  Transfer students earning an associate's degree must complete a minimum of 30 credit hours at the Venango Campus in Oil City , Pennsylvania. 

Transfer Credit Appeal
Students who feel the need to appeal a course equivalency on the degree audit may do so by meeting with the dean of their college. Students who appeal an equivalency are asked to provide a course syllabus which provides more detailed information than catalog descriptions. The course is then re-evaluated by the appropriate academic department.

Informal Transcript Evaluation
The Clarion University transfer counselor, Ms. Diane Kahle, is available to answer your questions, and can provide a quick evaluation of transfer credits before you actually apply. On your visit to the campus, you may present an unofficial transcript for preliminary evaluation, or you may fax a copy to our transfer counselor who is always willing to consult with students by phone, mail or e-mail. Find out how your courses will transfer to Clarion University. Pennsylvania's Transfer and Articulation Center (PA TRAC) provides access to courses transferability from many Pennsylvania universities and colleges.

Our phone number is 1-800-672-7171 extension 1 or 814-393-2306.
Our fax number is 814-393-2030.         

Payment of Deposit
Once accepted, students are encouraged to pay a $100 deposit as soon as possible in order to complete the application process.  Housing information and Transitions (orientation) information will then be forwarded to the student.

Scheduling Classes
Transfer students who qualify may schedule their classes during the pre-registration period (typically April through May and October through November, annually) or during a Transitions (orientation) session (typically June, July for Fall semesters & early January for Spring semesters).

During pre-registration
Transfer students can be cleared to schedule prior to a Transitions session if they have completed the admissions process early.  This involves:

Acceptance into Clarion and receipt admissions deposit
Submission of official college transcripts
Completion of the articulation of courses by Clarion University

Once these three criteria have been met, transfer students will receive notification of their pre-registration date/time.  Students are then encouraged to contact their dean's office to schedule an appointment after the specified date/time to make their class schedule.

During a Transitions Session
Once the admission deposit has been paid, transfer students receive an invitation to attend Transitions (orientation).  At Transitions, students who missed the opportunity to schedule during the pre-registration process will schedule classes. 

Students who have successfully completed a college level Math and English class will not be required to take the placement tests during Transitions.

 All transfer students should plan to attend a Transitions session (even if they schedule during pre-registration) so they can obtain their student ID, access their university email account, become familiar with Clarion University, etc.